...until my contract is officially up at work. I"m tired of splitting expenses between two households. But, within that time, there's so much to do, and I'm exhausted thinking about it all.
Today we had a ginormous storm. Flooding, downed trees, idiotic drivers ending up either crashing into each other or facing the wrong way on the side of the road because they spun out and were lucky enough to not hit anything besides the guard rails on either side of the highway. You'd've thought Andre Linogues had arrived in town!
The good part about the storm? I love making soup. And today was a soup-making day. Potato corn chowder. I had to tweak my recipe a bit, since I was lacking a fairly important flavoring ingredient, but the substitution I made was actually very effective.
I have had several offers (though no paperwork signed...yet) of various lecturing gigs. One next month (finalized, but still needs to be written... shhhh, don't tell!!); a series of two, back-to-back conferences next summer in the mid-west (ahyeahyoobecha), with the possibility of a myriad of possible presentations to give (one of which will be derived greatly from next month's gig); another conference next fall. I'm doing lots of domestic gigs... my goal/opportunity of an international conference has been put on the back burner. I'm still hoping to make that happen, and have it open up the possibililty of a grand position somewhere in Europe.
Yeah...I'll hold my breath for that one.
In the near term, I'm looking at my calendar and realizing that I need to pick up a substantial amount of contract work, which I really don't want to do, but push is starting to come to shove. My materialistic side has a want list a mile long. Oh, and there's bills too. Lest I forget those.
So much to do, so little time.
I splurged (again) and bought myself the new Dan Brown book. I know that it's gotten some not-so-great reviews ("a Da Vinci code knock-off") but I very much enjoy his writing and am sure I'll enjoy it immensely. I also need to locate Stephanie Plum #14 in paperback. I need the light shit to go with the dense excitement that is Dan Brown.
My class is going well... relatively. I'm glad to be teaching it, but it just reminds me that I want to land a position on a faculty somewhere where I can be free to design my own program. My head is swimming with ideas; I just need somewhere to test them out.
OK... off to clean the kitchen.
No comments:
Post a Comment